New World is a new MMO from Amazon. Set in the 17th century, the game is a bit of an old-school MMO. There are loads of social aspects, including PvP and PvE, as well as a full-on crafting system.
This is a complete guide and walkthrough to New World. We cover everything from general tips for leveling, completing quests, factions, and PvP, as well as in-depth build guides for supports, tanks, and much, much more. We also keep up to date with the latest patch news, maintenance time, and general news in the community.
January PTR News
The January PTR update brings with it some significant changes to the game, including the introduction of Expedition Modifiers, a gear score increase beyond 600 (625), and the new Umbral Shard Equipment upgrade system. Some players are a bit upset that the gear score increase is just that - a random number increase with no extra content. However, the Expedition Modifiers do pave a path for more interesting content updates in the future.
New World Patch News - Winter Convergence Festival
The Winter Convergence festival has been extended to January 25.
The Winter Convergence Festival is now live in New World. This winter and holiday-themed event introduces lots of festivities to the game over the Christmas season. The event will run until January 25.
- The event includes a bunch of new cosmetic items and unlocks via the in-game store.
- New in-game world events and winter-themed design for the towns.
- You can unlock Winter Tokens and hand them over to get more cosmetic items and unlocks, as well as gear.
- New mob types and mini-bosses.
- Keep your eyes out for Lost Presents - these spawn in the world and appear on your nav bar. You'll get Event Reputation for picking them up.
- Gleamite spawns out in the middle of nowhere (listen to the sound of them spawning) and drop event reputation when mined.
- There's a whole new questline available via The Winter Wanderer.
This event runs over the holiday period and also establishes some of the groundwork for serious server merges. Low pop servers will be merged with other low pop servers, with the algorithm for pairing servers together based on faction dominance and player numbers.
Other recent news:
- New World Bug Loads A Server Full Of Placeholders, And It's Horrifying
- While Amazon Works On Fixes, New World Fans Are Playing The Game In Unintended Ways
- New World's European Servers Return And Accidentally Gift Players 300,000 Gold
Everything You Need To Know About The New World PTR (Private Test Server)
The community has been asking for some sort of testing platform before updates are dropped into the live server, and the developers have delivered. New World's Private Test Server essentially acts as a window for players to test new items, changes, and tweaks, to fully report back to the devs before real-server problems occur.
- The brand new Void Gauntlet weapon will be tested on the PTR.
- A variety of new mob types and mission types are designed to make the start of the game feel more varied. This won't impact late-game players in its current state.
- A brand new Legendary Weapon Quest for the Void Gauntlet.
- Better PVP faction missions with more unique tasks, like destroying objects, holding on to control points and more.
- The Trading Post will now be linked between all settlements in an attempt to bring some life to dead towns.
You can read more details about the PTR here. The PTR is set to go live today, Wednesday 10 November.
Known Bug Issues
Here are a couple of known issues with New World at the time of writing:
- If you experience the "Steam Must Be Running To Play This Game" error with New World, try these: reinstall the Steam client, update to the latest version, verify New World's file integrity (Go to Library > New World > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity Of Game Files) or run the game as an administrator.
- Respawn rates of some mobs are still causing problems. Either too many mobs, or too few. This is particularly prevalent in Reekwater.
- Several gems are bugged in the game, including the Amber gem.
- There are multiple gold duping exploits available in the game. Some players have reportedly been banned for taking advantage of the exploit.
- Multiple other perks and abilities are also bugged. The list isn't known, exactly, but the game needs serious tweaks.
We will continue to update this known bug list when/if they are changed, or there are more added.
Getting Started In New World
New World is a huge MMO. There are factions, PvP, Expeditions (the game’s version of Dungeons), and much more. It can be a bit daunting to get started, so here are some of our beginner guides.
- Beginner Tips
- Tips For Playing Solo
- Camping Guide
- How To Repair Items
- How To Fast Travel
- Best Weapons
- Best Build To Level Up Fast
- Leveling Tips
- How Long Does It Take To Level Up In New World?
- Town Projects Explained
- How To Increase Your Gear Score
Housing And Storage Tips
Best Builds In New World
New World has a classless leveling system. You earn skill points, called Masteries, while you use your weapon. Each weapon has two separate mastery trees that promote different styles of play.
There are several different types of weapons, like the Musket, Bow, and Ice Gauntlet. Each has a unique playstyle, and many of the weapons have synergies between them. Here are our in-depth build guides for each weapon.
- Best Fire Staff Build
- Best Great Axe Build
- Best War Hammer Build
- Best Rapier Build
- Best Bow Build
- Best Ice Gauntlet Build
- Best Spear Build
- Best Musket Build
- Best Hatchet Build
- Best Sword Build
- Best Void Gauntlet Build
Although New World's weapon and leveling system are not tied to a specific class, there are still your typical MMO playstyles, like Tanks and Healers, that are incredibly important for PvP and PvE content.
Resource Gathering And Crafting
New World's crafting system is complex, but not too difficult to get to grips with thanks to the game's clean UI.
First, you have to gather resources, then refine them, and finally, you can craft various items, like weapons, armor, and potions. Here is our crafting guide and various popular resource locations.
Crafting And Trade Skill Leveling Guide
- Complete Crafting Guide
- Gem Guide
- Engineering Leveling Guide
- Mining Leveling Guide
- Jewelcrafting Leveling Guide
- Complete Bag Guide
- Logging Leveling Guide
- Arcana Leveling Guide
- Weaponsmithing Leveling Guide
- Complete Guide To Herbs
Resource Locations and Guides
|Oil||Starmetal||Platinum||Fae Iron||Petrified Wood|
|Briar Branches||Fish Oil||Gold||Life Motes||Wyrdwood|
|Lodestone Ore||Saltpeter||Corrupted Silver||Salt|
These guides cover most of the PVP activities in New World, including Outpost Rush, faction warfare, and one-on-one flagged PVP duels.
As of the closed beta, there are six total Expeditions in New World, with more expected to be added on (or shortly after) release. These are five-player instanced Dungeons with unique enemy types, bosses, and loot.
Things you'll need to get started with Expeditions in New World:
Individual Expedition guides:
Frequently Asked Questions
New World is an anticipated title. We'll address some of the most common questions about the game below.
Do You Need A Subscription To Play New World?
No, you don't need a subscription to play New World. You just need to make a single one-time purchase to own the game and play it.
Is New World On Xbox or PlayStation?
New World is currently not available on Xbox or PlayStation.
Is New World a survival game?
Technically no, although the game boasts an extremely robust crafting system that does share similarities with large, open-world survival games. New World is an MMORPG with a focus on PvP. You don't need to eat, sleep, or drink to survive.
Is New World an open-world game?
Yes. The world of Aeternum, the setting for New World, is huge. It's currently only explorable on foot or via fast traveling.
Are there classes in New World?
New World has no classes. It has a classless leveling system where weapon mastery and attributes are earned by using a weapon, such as the Fire Staff or Hatchet. You can still build your own classes (like a Healer, or a PvP build) but these are not restricted. You can spec and re-spec by using some of the in-game currency.
Does New World have mounts?
No, there are currently no Mounts in New World. The developers have addressed this issue and have claimed that Mounts are not likely to arrive in the game anytime soon, but they are looking into player's concerns that traveling around the map takes too long.
Are there microtransactions in New World?
Yes, there are microtransactions in New World, although the store is completely cosmetic. At least, for now. There were rumors that there would be paid boosts to the game, but the developers have addressed these problems by saying that the microtransactions will only be cosmetic. Only time will tell how true this is.
News And Coverage
New World is a highly anticipated launch, set to go live at the end of September 2021. Following a few delays but a very successful closed beta period, it's expected to be one of the biggest launches of the year on Steam.
Here's some of the biggest news so far:
- New World Has No Mounts Because Its Animals Are Too Violent For Domestication
- Five Games To Play If You Like New World
- New World Is Just Okay, But You Can't Beat The Buzz Of A New MMO
- Despite Its Flaws, New World’s PvP Is Its Saviour
- Maybe It Just Shouldn't Be Called New World Though?
- New World Players Are Running Into Walls To Avoid Being Kicked
- It Looks Like New World Is Bricking GPUs Again
Jedi: Fallen Order rumors, Persona 4 Golden on Steam Deck, a new Palworld trailer, and Raven Software unionization.